Thursday 3 May 2012

On the right track...

I think it's really important to keep checking in with your visual research throughout the course of a project because it's so easy to "go rogue"! I decided to review my body of work against trending websites  just to check I had not gone too far adrift. I was delighted to find I was bang on track and felt relieved to find this link which supports the work underpinning my designs...think it really gathers the whole essence of what I am trying to achieve...



Multi-tone prints: spring’s kaleidoscopic trend.

  

As spring 2012 warms the air, the fashion industry dips its fingers into the artistic tub for inspiration and guidance. Clothing becomes the new canvas for abstract art and splashes of prints that are as quirky as they are colourful.


http://www.fashionising.com/



I absolutely adore this print by the extraordinarily talented Mary Katranzou.  I aspire to produce as beautiful digital prints  as this one day...I love the mismatched harmony that comes from contrasting scale and photographic and illustrated work...sheer brilliance! Keeping on trucking with my own digital prints including this new creation...


As you can see this design is a development of one I previously posted. I created this all digitally not a scrap of drawing- all solely by manipulating scanned rock and mixing with my shibori samples. In mine mind this is more successful than the long thin scarf because there is greater contrast and I feel the square works better for the design, giving it a more successful composition. Think this one will almost certainly be in my final collection. I love how graphic it is and I think mixing the gritty urban tones with the soft pastels makes it more edgy and contemporary. I am going to consider some carefully placed embroidery and also overlaying clear foils by screen print. Do need to think carefully about size...the bigger the better methinks!



No comments:

Post a Comment